Friday, January 23, 2009

Oz

I have eventually arrived in 'Oz', seeing through the eyes of someone that has a quite milky vision, still. Weird coming from an area that is about 40 degrees colder into the warmest weather. I have not yet arrived fully since I have indeed not found a room yet. I have been looking at only two places thus far which were, frankly, proper shit holes. I guess it is the damnation of metropolitan life that makes housing prices sky rocket as if there was no tomorrow. Fair enough. At least that's the case all over the world. I have now found some places that cost about 400 Euro a month.

Else, I can say and see that the weather - even though hot as f*** - does me good in terms of getting quite quickly out of the ever so present winter depression that Dutch winters engender so badly. I found myself doing some research on the flat situation, followed by some random strolling through the streets of this vast city. And then my feeling for the strange came back, not least due to the fact that it is once more time to say 'Gong Hei Fat Choi' which means as much as 'Happy New Year' in Chinese. I wandered around the streets of Chinatown, loosing myself in the thought and impression of being in HK again; a feeling that made my heart jump. I start liking this city but I have to get settled, make some friends and celebrate my being here. I am very much looking forward to mid February when my dear friend is moving to Sydney to work in a law firm. Sweet as, so to say. I need a couple of people that are as stoked about being here as I am and do all the stupid shenannigans that tourists are known for - going to the zoo, taking heaps of pictures and just be stunned by the beauty this country possesses but that I have yet to discover and experience.

So far for now, off to Ed's work now to sip a couple of iced coffees while talking nonsense.

No comments: